Sub-title

Co-Parenting With Christ: "For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you" ~ Deuteronomy 31:5-7

Description

Uplifting, inspiring, and encouraging single mothers to embrace and enjoy the journey of single parenthood.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Your Plan vs. God's Purpose



"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose that will stand." ~ Proverbs 19:21

When I was pregnant with my oldest child, I decided not to find out what the sex was during the Sonogram. I wanted to be surprised but really hoped to have a little girl. Looking back I think that I wanted a girl because I assumed it would be easier for me than raising a boy. I didn't know very much about boys. Puppy love didn't teach me a whole lot. I didn't have any brothers, and my father wasn't in the picture. I think I was simply afraid of the unknown.

I knew I could relate to a little girl, I had been one myself right? I could comb her hair and dress her up in cute clothes. I could teach her everything I knew and she could apply it to her life. I envisioned having a little miniature me running around.

I was surprised alright. I gave birth to a bouncing baby boy on July 16, 1993. Here is where my coursework on what it means to be a man began. Seven years later, I was pregnant with my second child. This time I didn't want to wait for any surprises and asked the Sonographer to identify the sex of the baby. Another boy...I was tad bit disappointed and had secretly hoped there was a mistake. I didn't even tell anyone in my family the results. Sonograms aren't 100% accurate, are they? Well in this case it was absolutely correct. On April 13, 2000, my youngest son was born.

Don't get me wrong. I love my boys! They have been a joy to raise. I just didn't think I would be good with boys. I wanted what I thought would be easy and comfortable for me.

This is where God's purpose for my life was revealed. God wants us to grow. In order for us to grow we need to be challenged and stretched beyond our comfort zone. He used an area where I was under developed and developed me. If it were up to me and my plan, I would have had two girls. Hindsight being 20/20, I realize I would have missed out on so much. I have learned so much from raising boys and have experienced things that I never imagined I would. My biggest aha moment, was learning that boys have feelings, need nurturing, and need to be validated in much of the same way that girls do. Raising boys has also helped me to relate to men in general, differently. The experience also helped me to become a better woman.

"But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations." ~ Psalm 33:11 (NIV)

I believe that God allowed my disappointment with the men in my life, to be used as a catalyst for change, to hopefully break the cycle of dysfunction by instilling positive character traits in my boys, so that they can take their proper place in society for the generation to come. God's purpose and will for your life always prevails.

Embrace and enjoy the journey......

God Bless!

No comments: