Sub-title

Co-Parenting With Christ: "For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you" ~ Deuteronomy 31:5-7

Description

Uplifting, inspiring, and encouraging single mothers to embrace and enjoy the journey of single parenthood.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Welcome The Strangers Among Us

“Don’t forget to welcome strangers. By doing that some people have welcomed angels without knowing it.” ~ Hebrews 13:2 (NIRV)

Yesterday my youngest son and stopped by a convenience store to pick up a few things after his basketball game. While walking the aisles we were analyzing the game; what he did well and what he could improve the next game. During the conversation, we were interrupted by an older gentleman whose appearance was a little unkempt. He looked like he could have been a transient and perhaps may have been on drugs at some point in his life. But out of simple courtesy and respect for another human being; regardless of his appearance, I welcomed the interruption.

The gentleman said, “I’m sorry to interrupt, but I couldn’t help hearing your conversation. Do you mind if I give him some advice?” I said, “Sure.” He started by asking my son a question. He said, “What do you think you could have done better in your game today?” My son said, “I should have made my lay-ups, but I thought I was fouled and the referee didn’t call it.” The gentleman said, “That is where you went wrong, he said your main focus should be to make the basket, don’t worry about what other people are doing or not doing.” He asked my son, “What do you want to do when you grow-up?” My son said, “Play professional basketball.” The gentleman said, “When my son was 8 years old, he told me he was going to play in the NBA. Guess what he is doing now? He is number 54 on the Detroit Pistons, Jason Maxiell.” My son’s eyes got bigger than they already are…totally surprised by his comment. The man went on to say, “I always told him to focus on what he needed to be doing at all times and never worry about what the next person is or isn’t doing.” He took his items to the check out and he was gone.

What a great lesson for an 11 year old; what a great lesson for us grown folks as well. Don’t be quick to judge. You never know who God’s messengers are. We should welcome those we don’t know because were are one in God's eyes and they might have a word for us from our Heavenly Father. One things I took away from the strangers message to my son was that we need to mind our own business and stay focused on accomplishing our goals whatever they are, regardless of what the next man or woman may or may not be doing. When we spend unnecessary energy focusing on others we lose momentum and slow down our own progress.

If a total stranger takes time out of their day to share a word of encouragement or wisdom and insight with someone they don’t even know and may never see again they could be an angel in disguise. When we welcome the strangers among us we may be welcoming a blessing from above.


Remember you are not alone.

Embrace and enjoy the journey...

God Bless!

No comments: