Sub-title

Co-Parenting With Christ: "For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you" ~ Deuteronomy 31:5-7

Description

Uplifting, inspiring, and encouraging single mothers to embrace and enjoy the journey of single parenthood.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

I Want To Know What Love Is

As I prepared to write this post for today, a tune from the popular 80’s band Foreigner played in my head. A verse from the chorus says, “I want to know what love is, I want you to show me.”

The Apostle Paul tells us what love is in 1 Corinthians 13 (4-7):



“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, and endures through every circumstance.”



Love is action at its best. Love is something that you show, not simply something that you say. Love is the act of giving and receiving, contrary to the popular belief that love is a game of give and take. You might be wondering what is the difference between giving and taking versus giving and receiving. There is a big difference. I encourage you to browse the dictionary at: http://www.merriam-webster.com/ and explore the meanings.



The easiest way I can explain it is that when you receive something from someone it takes very little effort on your part. You open your hand and they place the object in your hand. It takes much more effort to take something from someone. Have you ever tried taking a piece of candy from a baby? Then you know exactly what I mean. The act of love should be effortless. Not without work, but certainly without force.


I am in the process of completing a year-long Bible Study on what it means to love. One of the exercises challenged me to read 1 Corinthians 13 (4-7) and replace the words “love” and “it” with my first name. The scripture took on a whole different meaning, much more personal. It was definitely a reality check of where I need to improve, learn more tolerance, and patience.


“Ricklyn is patient and kind. Ricklyn is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Ricklyn does not demand Ricklyn’s own way. Ricklyn is not irritable, and keeps no records of when Ricklyn has been wronged. Ricklyn is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Ricklyn never gives up, never loses faith, and endures through every circumstance.”



When my assignment here on earth as come to an end, I hope those that know me, those that I have said to have loved remembers me as described above. I know that I still have work to do. It is my goal to take every day as another opportunity to get better and exemplify the Apostle Paul’s description of love.



I encourage you to take the challenge. Read 1 Corinthians 13 (4-7) and replace the words “love” and “it” with your first name. See how loving you are and in what areas you can be more loving. Jesus said life’s greatest command is to love God with all you are and to love your neighbor as yourself. The question we must ask ourselves each day is: "Are we embracing a life of love?"



Remember you are not alone.



Embrace and enjoy the journey…


God Bless!

No comments: