Sub-title

Co-Parenting With Christ: "For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you" ~ Deuteronomy 31:5-7

Description

Uplifting, inspiring, and encouraging single mothers to embrace and enjoy the journey of single parenthood.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Commitment Cultivates Change

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

At the beginning of 2011, I went on a personal journey to lose weight. I joined Weight Watchers. I completely revamped my eating habits and incorporated exercise into my day; everyday. It was a truly a new day for me! Just like the lyrics Jennifer Hudson sang in the Weight Watchers commercial. Ultimately, I lost 20 lbs.

I did not achieve success simply because I started eating differently and began to exercise. I was successful because I committed to the daily process; the process of making wise choices, counting points, and writing down everything I consumed. I tracked breakfast, lunch, dinner, beverages, and snacks in between. I completely turned away from things like soda and candy because they are considered empty calories and were counterproductive to my efforts to lose weight and become healthier. I also scheduled time and committed to exercising everyday and even began counting the number of calories that I burned each day. It was definitely a process. My commitment to the process, cultivated the change that I wanted to see, the change that I wanted to become.

A Weight Watchers Leader that facilitated our group meetings would often say of the program, “When you kinda do it, it kinda works.” I thought this was a very profound statement because it can be applied to so many areas of our lives. Whether you have a goal to lose weight, go back to school, get a new job, or build better relationships with the people in your life, it begins with commitment. We have to commit and submit ourselves to the process. No commitment equals no change.

Merriam Webster has several definitions of the word “commitment”. The one that resonates with me the most is, “to carry into action deliberately”. Commitment is deliberate and intentional.

Since losing the 20 lbs, life has happened, my commitment waned, and I have gained some of the weight back. But the beautiful thing about life is that with each “new day” we are given, we are blessed with another opportunity to recommit ourselves to the process of changing for the better. I know that it can be done because I have experienced the reward and benefits of commitment first hand.

Let’s make today the day that we begin to take deliberate action. It may be something different for each and every one of us. Whatever the goal, let’s commit to keep each other uplifted, inspired, and encouraged along the way.

Remember you are not alone.

Embrace and enjoy the journey…

God Bless!

No comments: