Sub-title

Co-Parenting With Christ: "For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you" ~ Deuteronomy 31:5-7

Description

Uplifting, inspiring, and encouraging single mothers to embrace and enjoy the journey of single parenthood.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Oh, The Places You'll Go

“In your heart you plan your life. But the Lord decides where your steps will take you” ~ Proverbs 16:9 (NIRV)

In February 2006, one of my mentors gave me a book by Dr. Seuss titled “Oh The Places You’ll Go”. At that time, I had no idea that I was about to embark on a life changing journey that would teach me about faith and trusting God. But apparently my mentor did. How prophetic!

In April of that same year, the boys and I visited my grandmother in Texas. During the long road trip back home, I decided that I was ready for a change and that the boys and I would leave Long Beach, CA and relocate to Dallas, TX. When I made the decision, I had no clue how my plan would pan out. But I was determined.


I was working for a company in Irvine that had an office in Dallas, but they didn’t have any positions currently available. It was important to me that we moved during the summer so the boys would have time to transition and get ready to attend their new schools. Timing was of the utmost importance. After some weeks of applying for jobs at other company’s in Dallas to no avail, I began to get discouraged. It seemed almost impossible to move to Dallas without first securing a job.

One of my co-workers gave me some really good advice. She told me to stop worrying about finding a job, and focus on the move itself. She said let God take care of how the move with come to fruition, in the meantime, research schools for the boys and communities to live in. And perhaps the most radical leap of faith of all, she suggested that I start packing. I questioned her, “Packing? I don’t even know where I’m going to be living or working and you think I should start packing?” She said, “Absolutely, and watch what God will do!”

I took her advice and starting doing some research on the internet and began packing up my apartment. I had made up my mind that I would trust God and move to Dallas job or no job and cross that bridge when I came to it. Ironically, the day the movers arrived to put my things in storage; I received a phone call for a job that I had applied for in Dallas. The company flew me to Dallas a few days later to interview for the position and I was offered the job on the spot, with a higher salary and all relocation expenses covered. Look at God! We moved to Dallas in July 2006, just in time for the boys to prepare for school.

This experience taught me that once we decide what we want for our lives and act in faith, God will take care of the rest.

Five years later, I am still very happy with my decision to move to Dallas. The change of lifestyle and scenery has helped me to grow and mature as a woman and it has been beneficial for my children. I have also been blessed with some great career opportunities. Of course, the journey has not been without its challenges. But if I had not trusted God to order my steps, my plan may have never come to fruition and I would have never known all of the places I could go.

Though Dr. Seuss’ book “Oh The Places You’ll Go” is written with the youth in mind, it is a great read for adults too. It addresses the Great Balancing Act (life itself, and the ups and downs it presents) while encouraging us to find personal fulfillment and the success that lies within us. When you know in your heart that you want to accomplish something, tell God your plans, act in faith and let Him be your guide.

Remember....you are not alone.

Embrace and enjoy the journey...

God Bless!

No comments: