Sub-title

Co-Parenting With Christ: "For the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you or forsake you" ~ Deuteronomy 31:5-7

Description

Uplifting, inspiring, and encouraging single mothers to embrace and enjoy the journey of single parenthood.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Truly Trusting God During Tough Times

"Tell me, what do you have in your house?” ~ 2 Kings 4 (NCV)

Since I began my spiritual journey the story of the Widow and the Oil has been one of my favorite parables in the Bible. Little did I know, one day the widow’s story would become my own.

The Widow’s husband left her with an insurmountable amount of debt that she could not afford to pay. As a result, the creditor was threatening to take her two sons as slaves. God sent the prophet Elisha to help her. He asked her what she had in her house. She said, “Nothing at all, except a flask of oil.” Elisha told her to bottle up the oil. Once she completed that task Elisha told her to sell the oil to pay off the debt and to keep what was left for herself and her sons.


In my opinion, this story is a great example of being obedient and truly trusting God. She completed the exercise of bottling the oil before she actually knew what the next step would be or even how it would change her circumstances.

Recently, I was going through a tough time. I was in-between jobs and my oldest son had just started college. He did not qualify for financial aid and my expenses far exceeded my income. My rent was due, and I had no idea how I was going to pay it. I knew by the grace of God things would work themselves out, I just could not see how. I just had to have faith.

As Believers, we often feel that we are operating in faith, but sometimes what we call “having faith” is actually hoping for a particular outcome without taking the necessary action and being obedient. We think that if we believe hard enough and wait on God our situation will change. But I once heard someone say, “Do what you can do, and God will do the rest.” So I went into prayer and began to ask God what I needed to do.


The answer I received actually came in the form of a question, “What do you have in your house?” For a minute, I was confused. I wasn't sure what that meant. Soon, the story of the Widow and the Oil soon came to mind. No, I didn’t have any oil. But I did have other resources that I had been blessed with.


As I began to take inventory of what I had in my house, I realized that I had more than I have ever needed. Some things I had in multiple quantities, some things I hadn’t used in forever. More importantly, I realized that none of what I possessed in my house was truly mine. It all belonged to God. I had been given stewardship over these items for a period of time. Now it was time for me to release them and make them available for someone else’s benefit. It was in this moment I really understood why we should NEVER become attached to things.

I posted several items on Craigslist.com. The boys’ bedroom set was the first item that sold. The set was 5 years old and still in pretty good condition. I received a couple of offers from potential buyers, but I decided to sell to the person with the lowest bid because she was a single mother with two children, a woman after my own heart. When they came to pick up the set, her kids were so happy to be getting a “new” bedroom set. Even though she was helping me out by buying the set, I knew that she and her kids had been blessed. It really was a win win situation. Soon after all of the other items also sold. I was able to pay my rent in full.

I didn’t know for sure that I would raise the funds to meet my financial obligation, but having faith is about taking the necessary steps no matter what the outcome may be. I was obedient to what I felt God was telling me to do. I knew that I had more than what I truly needed. I also knew that whatever I released could one day be replaced.


So if you ever find yourself in a tough time, I encourage you to truly trust God with the radical faith and action of the Widow. If you don’t know where your “next” is going to come from I challenge you to ask yourself, “What do I have in my house?” Chances are you already have exactly what you need. You just haven’t taken inventory. How radical is your faith? Truly trusting God means being obedient and taking action, even if that means letting go of certain people, particular places, and yes....some of our things!

Remember you are not alone.

Embrace and enjoy the journey…

God Bless!

No comments: